Monday, October 28, 2013

October 28, 2013 - My Lovely Family

Hello my lovely Family!

I am here in the Dominican Republic and I am safe! So smile and be happy! Ha-ha it is awesome. I am in San Pedro which is not the campo (meaning the outskirts-jungley area) so that is cool. There are stores around and concrete houses every where. My Branch (too small to be a ward) is Primavera! So cool. I am enjoying it here. My house has 5 rooms and the kicker to it is....

We don´t have water! hahaha. Yep so we go across the street to the church to use the bathroom and wash our faces and get water to clean dishes. We buy clean water for other things and then walk 15 minutes to another house of two missionaries Elder Carter and Elder Lara to shower. It is an adventure and I am having a lot of fun here! It´s good. My companion is Elder Valencia from Mexico City the Jefe. He said it's in Mission Oeste boundaries! So cool. He is way nice, doesn't know much English at all so I am trying to use my little Spanish to communicate with him. It is a fun time. I can understand my companion a lot better than I can understand the people here. They talk so fast and never use S´s. They also have such different words here than what they have in Mexico or other places. Fruits are different, objects its a fun learning experience here!

Here is my Letter Address (My book was correct because the mail system here is not good at all. Speaking of that I don´t have any letters but hey that is alright. 

Missionary Name
SDQ 4102
2250 NW 114th Ave. Unit 1A
Miami FL 33172-3652

Here is the Package Address (Caution!!!!!! I have to pay about $2 for every pound of packages so please be mindful of me and my money. I would love packages but I don´t want to have to pay too much to get them. Thanks a ton!)

Missionary Name
AP-000914
8532 NW 66th ST
Miami FL 33166

Okay on to other things I think. So on the morning of leaving the MTC we got up at 5 30 and packed. Took all our stuff down stairs ate waited for like 2 hours to get picked up. Had meetings in the mission home and waited some more. Got dropped off at a park with all our stuff (I put my suit in the mission home for two years ha-ha. they said we never use them.) Then we took a wawa or jaja or whatever. It's a bus to our area which is about 2 hours away from the capital. My companion has been on his mission for 7 months so he knows some stuff but he isn´t crazy versed or anything. We get to the apartment and it is a huge mess. Kinda disgusting really but we had to walk from the bus for 30 minutes with suitcases and it was late so we just changed, moved our beds and slept. The next day all we did was clean. Had to get the water from the church and it was a bugger. We still haven´t cleaned it all but we will try. I believe we are going to move houses this week but who knows. It´s all okay.

I believe DearElder´s are still okay out in the field. We had our Zone-District conference on Thursday. That was way cool! I got to see one or two of the guys from the MTC and then it was all in Spanish. Ha-ha hard to understand but fun! I enjoyed it a lot. We have gone to Jumbo (a store like Walmart) a couple times to buy things because our house was pretty much trash. We didn´t really have things to cook with, usable plates or anything to clean with so we had to buy it all and then I will get reimbursed for it. I have a debit card to use and then I have to use an ATM to get cash. We get about 8000 pesos per month (a little more I think) to live on. That includes everything. We get half deposited every two weeks. Its fun and I need to budget it of course but this first week was hard having to buy everything for our house. Once I am settled I can really budget it all.

It is super hot and humid here for sure. The breeze is always appreciated. My area is pretty close to the sea I hear so you have to be careful with bacteria getting into your food and clothes. Caution is always important and I am learning a lot! The sunsets here have actually competed with the ones in Utah (though not the same because I usually watched them in the soccer stadium ha-ha). I saw the ocean on my bus but I haven´t done anything else yet. Hopefully another p'day we will do something fun!

I gosh I almost deleted this whole email. Yikes! We are okay though! Here they are already doing Christmas! Christmas songs in the stores and what now. So crazy. They celebrate it for 3 months in a row and don´t do dia de los muertes or Halloween. Darn it ha-ha. Oh well its cool. Christmas spirit is alive here, though its hot and humid and sticky and there is no snow ha-ha.

Any letters you sent when I was in the MTC should be forwarded to me through the Mission home. That's what I believe anyways. I love all your emails thank you so much. sorry I don´t have a ton of time to respond specifically right now. Can´t believe the weather in Utah is so cold ha-ha.

I tried to explain Dad´s work in Spanish and I kind of think its impossible with my small amount of knowledge ha-ha but it was funny. The food here is good. We eat off the streets and make our own food as well. We are just always careful.

Spanish word for this week is Chin. I think that is how its spelled I don´t really know but that is how it is said. Here it means a little. Equivalent to un poco. They also use the phrase Mi madre here a lot and its not bad at all. That is what I am told anyways! ha-ha so much fun out here.

Oh I had a small allergic reaction the past couple days. I don´t think I washed the grapes well enough. That one is on me. Anyways I took a pill Saturday night and Sunday morning and then during church I was dead tired. Like I almost fell asleep so many times. That wasn´t the best look but I was having trouble staying awake. Especially because it was all in Spanish. ha-ha oh well.

This area is new for my companion so we have been contacting a ton of members and anyone else we can. The area seems pretty big but I don´t have any exact measurements. This part was kind of let in ruins by the last missionaries. No map, the area book is a total mess without any papers but that's okay. we can fix it. I told my companion now we can work our bottoms off and make it the way we want it (translate that in Spanish ha-ha. That isn´t word for word of course).

Thanks for your prayers and your love!

--
Love,

Elder Chez Green

No comments:

Post a Comment