Monday, February 3, 2014

January 27, 2014 - Hello from the Hot Sweaty DR!

Hi Family!

I am sending you all my love from the hot and sweaty DR! It is getting very warm here, that is for sure! Right now I am kneeling and typing so give me a break if it isn`t perfect please. They ran out of seats at this internet cafe. Haha just my luck but hey it`s alright. I hope everyone is doing well in their respective locations! I am enjoying it here in the DR. It is not always easy but it is worth it. I have seen the Lord`s hand in my work a lot this week! Ok much better. I just got a chair to sit on haha!

So the funny story this week is well probably not that funny because I am not the best story teller but here it goes anyways. We were contacting in an area called Barrio Mexico (Yes we make lots of jokes that my companion feels at home there) in the morning. We were looking for houses that have the door opened and a responsible adult inside (though we can`t always know that). We made a good contact and were headed back to the house, stopping by the market to buy some vegetables to cook our chicken with (onion, garlic, peppers) and to buy some plantains (green, hard bananas) to make fried plantain (pretty much the DR French Fries!). I was walking on the side walk and we came to a little street intersection. I could hear a motorcycle coming so I decided to stop (logical I know). The motorcycle came out and was waiting to turn right onto the other street. I had the grand idea of walking behind the motorcycle, but it was in a gutter. And this gutter happened to be large, and full of dark, murky water. This gutter was also pretty darn slippery. So as I tried walking in the gutter I ended up falling. Luckily I had some good reaction time and did some acrobatic moves to save my white shirt! It turned out that my hands got very dirty, my right leg dipped into the water, my bag also got dipped in and my shoes got some grossness on them too. But all in all I came out of it pretty unscared. I was happy about that. I washed up at the house and we ate lunch. Put that was my *near death experience* but not really.

This week has been a good one. Today we played some volleyball as a district as well as dominoes. I am not very good at Dominoes but I am trying to learn. The Dominicans play it so fast, trash talk the whole time, and I am still trying to learn all of the strategy. It is played with 4 people, 2 on a team. They play it with all of the pieces from 0 to 6. It is fun but I need to learn more Spanish, DR Slang, and the rules better to be any good. I enjoyed it though. I also enjoyed volleyball. After we ate at the cafe by our house which is pretty good. I have a fruit shake waiting for me in the fridge which I am pretty excited about as well!

Sunday was a pretty great day as well! We had 7 investigators at church and 6 families of less actives! That was so sweet. I can`t believe how well it went but I am very happy. We will see who is actually progressing and ready in the investigator category but we have a date for Feb. 15 with Alexandra (mother of Edward). We are hoping and praying that all will go well and it will come through! It was great to see so many less actives that we have been working with at church as well. We have been doing family nights in a place called Barrio Blanco every Monday. We invite members to invites friends, relatives, and especially less actives. That has been helping a lot and I think that is part of why we are seeing more less actives. It really was a great Sunday, with great messages and all! I truly enjoyed sacrament meeting as well. It is always a great time to feel the spirit and think about all of the blessings we have in our lives!

So the internet right now is really slow and I lost some of what I wrote. Sorry about that but such is life.
I got my scripture covers this week! I am way happy about that! I am trying to send pictures for you all to see but they weren`t the greatest. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! I think I will send this email now so not everything is lost and see if I can send another one!
Cross you fingers haha! If you don`t get another email from me, I love you all and something happened. Smile big! Talk to you in the next email!

Love,

Elder Chez Green

No comments:

Post a Comment